Building the Dream
Peter Tapscott purchased a rural property on the outskirts of Shepparton, 200km north of Melbourne. His intent – to build his family's dream home. With the perfect site chosen, adjacent to a stream running through the treed property, he investigated the different building methods.
A number of factors influenced Peter's selection of framing materials:
- Peter is a qualified sheet metal worker and is the Production Manager at Furphy Engineering, the Shepparton Fabricator - so he's very familiar and competent working with steel.
- Peter had successfully built a farm shed on his property.
- Colleagues and friends who had built in steel were very happy with their recently completed homes.
- Peter demands a high level of quality from his workers and this expectation naturally flows through to his own project.
- The design required long span trusses, which are easily coped with by steel.
- Termites are very active in the region.
In counter balance to the factors above - Peter's father-in-law is a builder who loves timber and strongly believes it is the best way to go. But, despite this advice - Peter chose to build his home with a steel frame.
Dennis Sutton of F.A.D. Steel designed, fabricated and delivered the steel frame to site. Peter then employed the F.A.D. Steel team to erect the steel frame. Peter said, “Dennis was very helpful at all stages of the project and he and his team supplied a high quality frame, which made a wonderful foundation for me to complete the project.” Erection was very quick allowing Peter to move on to the next stage of his project.
Peter and his family are now enjoying life in their new home – and his timber-loyal father-in-law? Perhaps a convert – he's very proud of Peter and his family's steel-framed home.
Frame supplier: F.A.D. Steel Pty Ltd